GUIDE FOR K-1 VISAS
K-1 Visa Eligibility
A U.S. citizen can sponsor their fiancée’s entry into the United States with a K-1 visa. Both partners must intend to get married within 90 days of the foreign fiancé’s arrival in the U.S.
- K-1 visa holders must be sponsored by a US citizen. Legal Permanent Residents are not eligible to sponsor this visa.
- The couple must be legally able to marry, and provide all divorce decrees, death certificates, and/or annulments from prior marriages.
- The intending immigrant must obtain a police clearance certificate, per the requirements set out by the Department of State.
- K-1 visas are available to same-sex partners, regardless of whether the laws in the sponsored fiancé’s home country allow for sex-same marriage.
- The couple must show evidence that they have met in person within the two years prior to applying.
- Each partner must show that they are ready, willing and able to marry within 90 days of the sponsored fiancé’s arrival in the United States.